Farm Event: Potato Harvest !!
Have you registered yet?? See the link below. It is in just a few weeks – August 20th
This week in your CSA Share:
- Grape tomato **
- Tomato – hoophouse & field**
- Summer Squash – zucchini & yellow**
- Cucumber – mix – up to 3 varieties **
- Fresh Garlic **
- Fresh Onions – red **
- Bell Pepper
- Scallions **
- Head Lettuce
- Lettuce Mix
- Eggplant – mix Japanese & globe**
Each item in the list is a direct link to the Vegetable Directory that has more details about storage and recipes. On each page you will also find a link to a Pinterest Board for that vegetable. **Featured in this week’s custom recipes
You also have a great selection for a quick salsa this week. -tomato, jalapeno, scallions, onion, pepper, parsley – You’ve got it all!!
- Tomato – will continue to ripen on your counter; ripe when tender to the touch; excellent eaten raw or cooked. If you must refrigerate allow to adjust to room temp before eating for best flavor. Over-ripe tomatoes are great for tossing in with diced squash and simmered until tender – let the seasonings guide your direction: Italian, Indian, or even straight up garlic and parsley.
- Summer Squash – yellow or zucchini – can be eaten raw in salads, pickled, stewed, grilled, soup, sauté, noodled, shredded, baked …..so many possibilities; bigger ones? – scoop out seeds and stuff (taco boats) cut into wedges and roast, great on the grill too; our Pinterest board has many options; simmer with garlic and tomato
- Cucumber – 3 varieties this week- English type, typical slicer and a dual purpose slicer/pickler; peels can be eaten, quick pickle, typically eaten raw – QUICK PICKLE – only 3-4 cucumbers needed per pint; grab the recipe HERE – refrigerator pickles – no canning required – super easy – enjoy for months
- Onions: today’s onions are not cured for storage; please use promptly, they can be stored on the counter.
- Jalapeno: the heat is in the seeds and white pith; remove carefully for less heat and don’t touch your eyes; use gloves; can be cleaned diced and frozen (no blanching)
- Eggplant: very versatile veggie but not familiar to all. Great for taking on flavors. Braised, broiled, grilled, baba ghanoush, try Eggplant Meatballs – for those that are not eggplant fans.
Weekly Recipes: KP Holistic Chef – Katie Peterson has created 2 custom recipes to compliment your CSA share. You will receive printed copies of the weekly recipes. The recipes are always listed on her website too www.kpholistichef.com @KPholisticchef
RECIPE NOTES: We enjoyed the Tomato Risotto at the Farm to Table dinner Saturday!
Recipes from July 26th Week #7 – in case you missed these you have another chance!!
- Wash your produce at home? Yes! We do give many items a rinse at the farm. However, we still recommend that you wash your veggies at home before eating. None of our produce is sprayed with pesticides.
- Please do not leave your veggies in your car = wilted greens 🙁 – this will greatly reduce how long your veggies last. Please keep cool and refrigerate as soon as possible.
- Your greens are wrapped in paper to help cut down on our plastic usage. They can be stored in the paper but will loose moisture over time. You may wish to move to proper storage
Farm Update: Tomatoes!!! Welcome to the tomato jungle – and they are beautiful!
We have received some rain. The cooler temps today are much appreciated. The heat advisories have taken their toll on the crops and the farmers. This is refreshing. The pond is still very low and we are watering very conservatively as we have no other water source to irrigate with.
Farm to Table – How was it??
We had an amazing dinner prepared by Chef Katie of KP Holistic Chef. Thank you to all of our guests for making it a wonderful evening. We were even blessed with a beautiful rainbow. All of the veggies used were from our farm and the entire meal was plant-based/vegan. You can see the menu below. We all enjoyed the Tomato Risotto and it is your featured recipe this week.
Use the link to register for Potato Harvest
There are still dates available to earn your T-shirt!! Potato Harvest counts toward your t-shirt too.
Available Dates remaining: 7/30, 8/13, 8/20, 8/27, 9/3, 9/10, 9/24, 10/1, 10/8
What happens at our Annual Potato Harvest?
We all head out to the field to dig potatoes! You can even take home some fresh potatoes. We will have Bradley Gillett here to cook up a tasty dish featuring potatoes and veggies from the farm to satisfy our bellies after our hard work. Take a look from last season.
Newsletter from August 31st 2021 – lots of photos!
- Potato Harvest: Saturday 8/20 – working event – qualifies for t-shirt
- Soup & Stew: Saturday 9/17 – cooking demo & tasting event
- End of Season Gratitude Gathering: Saturday 10/15 – Pot Luck
Social Media :
FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM tag us in your photos: @egfcsa @KPholisticchef
We have a new Facebook Page. We will continue to post on both pages for a while as we transition to using just one. Please like and follow our new page
We have also added a new private Facebook Group. We are up to 16 members!! We would like this to be a place where we can all share general cooking and preservation tips, CSA related ideas, recipes, and photos of our culinary creations made with our CSA veggies. It is set up so you can post anonymously if preferred. You can request to be added at the link below.
MEET THE FARM CREW:
This season’s produce is brought to you by this crew. We are a small family farm and grow 4-7 acres of over 40 varieties of vegetables. This bunch works hard to get your veggies to you every week.