Week #3 – CSA Extension
2019 Extension CSA (11/ 5 – 12/ 6 no delivery Thanksgiving week)
Your CSA Extension share will help you keep you eating healthy through the winter.
QUICK TIPS – Take a look at our Pinterest Boards
We have set up boards for all vegetables.
Celeriac – these roots store well but do need to be peeled. Not sure how… look HERE. Our favorite way to eat is roasted with other root veggies, added cubed to soups/stews, or smashed when braised a bit in broth and thyme. Recipe HERE.
Baby Beets with Greens – These baby beets DO NOT NEED PEELING!! However, they do need a good scrubbing. With the greens, these should be eaten quickly. We found a recipe that is on our Pinterest Beet Board We modified it a bit last night and adjusted the recipe below to what we prepared. You have the quantity listed. Link to the original recipe HERE The original recipe called for mint which we did not have on hand so we substituted fresh thyme and added during cooking.
Braised whole baby beets –
- 3 Tbsp butter (or plant-based butter)
- 1 3/4 lbs beets or whole baby beets with their greens (scrubbed & washed well and patted dry)
- 2 cups fresh chicken broth or roasted chicken stock (or Vegetable Broth)
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme (optional)
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- Melt butter in a skillet over a moderate flame. When it froths, add thyme and neatly place beet thinnings into the skillet so that all the root tips rest in one direction and the greens in the other. Sear in butter until the greens are wilted. (May have to use tongs to flip depending on pan size-we did) .Pour two cups broth into the skillet, cover, and simmer until roots become tender – about ten minutes (up to 15 for some larger roots-flip if not covered completely after 5-7minutes.)
- Turn off the heat and transfer the beets to a serving dish using tongs. For best presentation, lay the beets together so that all the beetroots rest at one end of the serving dish with the greens resting at the other. Sprinkle to dress with cider vinegar.
WOW!! We had an early cold snap! The freshly planted garlic was already tucked under the straw for the winter. The greens in the field were not as happy with the change in temperatures. The field greens have been at a standstill and did have some freeze damage. We have limited covered indoor space to plant. We do have some raised beds in what was the pepper house this year. There are greens growing and we hope to harvest them for the last week of the extension when we resume delivery after Thanksgiving.
Enjoy the holiday and we hope that you have a fantastic feast!!
CSA EXTENSION Delivery Schedule-please note the changes
- Tuesday – YMCA – 5:00- 5:30
- Wednesday – Seneca Sunrise Coffee 12:00-6:00pm; Farm Sanctuary 12:30; Hammondsport 1:00
- Friday – Sullivan Park 12:00-12:30; Erwin 12:35-12:45; Farm Pick Up 3:30-5:30
SAVE $25 until 3/1/20 – 2020 CSA SHARES $500 with full payment – Payment plans also available (no discount)
- $25 Discount available until March 1st! Please tell your friends to join!!!
- We have set up the online store if you prefer to pay by credit card (fees apply)
- 2020 Membership Form – now active online
- If you haven’t joined for 2020 yet, you can reserve your share with a deposit and set up a payment plan. Payment plans start in May.
Thank you for supporting our small farm!!!