In your CSA share this week:
- Napa Cabbage
- Bok Choy
- Asian Greens
- Curly Kale
- Purple Daikon Radish
- Hakurei Turnip
- Butternut Squash
scroll down for a ton of recipes!!
WE PLANTED GARLIC THIS WEEKEND!! To begin, all of the 500 heads of garlic must be broken up into individual cloves. We used the waterwheel planter and had some help from Jay. This allows 2 people to sit on the back and place the clove of garlic in the spot marked by the wheel. We eyed the third row in the middle. We planted 4 beds with 3 rows each and covered them with organic straw to tuck them in for the winter. In the spring, the garlic will grow through the straw and the straw will help keep the weeds at bay.
Veggie Notes and Recipe links:
Napa Cabbage – kimchi, soups, dumplings, stir-fries, eggrolls, cabbage rolls
Purple Daikon Radish – salads, slaw, thin slice raw, shredded onto salads, pickled, kimchi, roasted
Peppers – all – can be sliced, diced and frozen without blanching; jalapenos are great in cornbread
Red Onions – Quick pickled red onions or add raw to salads or sandwiches; cooked in dishes too.
Kale – salads, added chopped to soups or mashed potato, pesto, quick sauté with garlic
5-Minute Stir Fry Sauce – PRINTABLE PDF – I use some variation of this at least once a week!
POTATO STORAGE: We are aware that some of you have a lot of potatoes in storage. Here are some tips to keep your potatoes longer https://food52.com/blog/14613-the-best-way-to-store-potatoes.
Perhaps you missed the opportunity to try these the first time around. You can find these in the archives by month or the search feature at the bottom of each post. (Search example – “2023 WEEK #3”) Recipes from your 2023 CSA Member Recipe Book:
- Asian Baby Bok Choy – Week #1
- Tandoori Bok Choy – Week #3
- Roasted Hakurei Turnip – Week #6
- Mediterranean Salmon with Kale – Week #7
- Sweet Onion Jam – Week #9
- Stir-Fried Napa Cabbage with Spicy Garlic Dressing – Week #14
- Spicy Roasted Daikon Radish “French Fries” – Week #16
- Butternut Squash Chili – Week #17
- Watermelon Radish, Orange and Goat Cheese Salad – Week #18
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp Pasta – Week #18
- Asian Green Salad – Week #19
- Sesame Stir Fried Kale and Red Cabbage – Week #20
Recipes from the 2022 CSA Member Recipe Book
You can find these in the archives by month or the search feature at the bottom of each post. (Search example – “22 CSA WEEK #2”)
- Bok Choy Salad with Sriracha Peanut Dressing – 2022 Week#2
- Miso Braised Hakurei Turnips with Greens – 2022 Week #2
- Spicy Kale Chips – 2022 Week #3
- Butternut Squash Soup – 2022 Week #16
- Butternut Squash and Quinoa Salad – 2022 Week #17
- Napa Cabbage Pancakes – 2022 Week #17
Private Facebook Group: request to join the group and turn on notifications https://www.facebook.com/groups/egfcsa