Several of you have had the opportunity to sample some tasty bites from Chef Katie at the farm Open House or the Glorious Garlic Harvest. We are thrilled to announce our next collaboration:
Google map directions HERE
I heard some of you are not reading your newsletters!! Made you look ….now on to what you have been waiting for
This week in your CSA Share:
- Summer Squash** – zucchini & yellow
- Beans -green/yellow**
- Bell Pepper**
- Fresh Garlic
- Tokyo Bekana
- Lettuce Head
Each item in the list is a direct link to the Vegetable Directory that has more details about storage and recipes. On each page you will also find a link to a Pinterest Board for that vegetable. **Featured in this week’s custom recipes
Quick Tips & Ideas:
- Tokyo Bekana – mild flavored Chinese cabbage eaten raw in salad or cooked Asian green
- Summer Squash – yellow or zucchini – can be eaten raw in salads, pickled, stewed, grilled, soup, sauté, noodled, shredded, baked …..so many possibilities
- Beans – yellow & green – trim stems, eaten raw or cooked, blanch to freeze
- Scallions – use the whites and the greens, mild onion flavor, great addition to salads, stir-fry, can be sliced and frozen no blanching
- Parsley: maintain moisture-stand upright in water, change daily, can be frozen, great addition to salads and cooked dishes, tabbouleh, dressings
- Cucumber – 2 varieties this week, typical slicer and a dual purpose slicer/pickler; peels can be eaten, quick pickle, typically eaten raw
- Eggplant – the first of the season, does not need to be peeled, excellent grilled, marinated, in stir-fry, curries, or roasted; will take on whatever flavor you choose.
- Wash your produce at home? Yes! We do give many items a rinse at the farm. However, we still recommend that you wash your veggies at home before eating. None of our produce is sprayed with pesticides.
- Please do not leave your veggies in your car = wilted greens 🙁 – this will greatly reduce how long your veggies last. Please keep cool and refrigerate as soon as possible.
- Your greens are wrapped in paper to help cut down on our plastic usage. They can be stored in the paper but will loose moisture over time. You may wish to move to proper storage
Weekly Recipes: KP Holistic Chef – Katie Peterson has created 2 custom recipes to compliment your CSA share. You will receive printed copies of the weekly recipes. The recipes are always listed on her website too www.kpholistichef.com @KPholisticchef
Glorious Garlic Harvest
We had a great day!! Our CSA members are the best. We all worked together to harvest and enjoyed some tasty bites prepared by Chef Katie. To see all of the photos from the day take a look at the last website post. The first fresh garlic goes home today. The rest is hanging to cure in the barn. Thank you to all of our amazing CSA Members that came to enjoy the day.
Come be a farmer with us on Saturday mornings from 9-12 during the season. Gain a greater sense of community from working together and connect with the land your food is grown on. Relieve stress and get some sunshine. You can work along side us in the field with whatever task we have for the morning. It could be transplanting, weeding, or harvesting. We will supply the gloves and tools.
You will receive an email later in the week once we know what we have planned for the morning.
If you attend 3 or more working events during the season you will earn an Ever Green Farm CSA t-shirt. T-shirts will be distributed at the Gratitude Gathering in October. You must sign up in advance to attend. See you in the field! We are not sure what is planned for next Saturday. When we know, you will get an email.
Available Dates: 7/23, 7/30, 8/13, 8/27, 9/3, 9/10, 9/24, 10/1, 10/8
- Farm-to-Table Dinner: 8/6 – now accepting reservations (pre-payment required)
- Potato Harvest: Saturday 8/20 – working event – qualifies for t-shirt
- Soup & Stew: Saturday 9/17 – cooking demo & tasting event
- End of Season Gratitude Gathering: Saturday 10/15 – Pot Luck
Social Media :
FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM tag us in your photos: @egfcsa @KPholisticchef
We have a new Facebook Page. We will continue to post on both pages for a while as we transition to using just one. Please like and follow our new page
We have also added a new private Facebook Group. We are up to 16 members!! We would like this to be a place where we can all share general cooking and preservation tips, CSA related ideas, recipes, and photos of our culinary creations made with our CSA veggies. It is set up so you can post anonymously if preferred. You can request to be added at the link below.
MEET THE FARM CREW:
This season’s produce is brought to you by this crew. We are a small family farm and grow 4-7 acres of over 40 varieties of vegetables. This bunch works hard to get your veggies to you every week.